CHANDRA Code for Collapsed Objects|
source code chandra.cpp, output file chandra.txt, the instructions chanread.txt,
and the executable module chandra.exe, which
may be compiled from the source code using Borland's 3.1 version compiler.
These have all been packed into chandra.zip.
Otherwise, executable code must be purchased with C/C++ source code on CD-rom
from Greenwood Research. It is sold
with Thermonuclear Fusion in Stars,
Supernova Vignettes, and CHANDRA.
Free chandra.zip download. 102 Kb
Back to top
Stellar structure software
with executable module chandra.exe,
source code chandra.cpp in C/C++ (Borland C++ 3.1 format),
and chanread.txt readme file.
You will require WinZip to unzip chandra.zip. Download WinZip
software for collapsed objects by the method of
Chandrasekhar and Fowler,
including white dwarfs,
neutron stars, and objects
with more exotic
equations of state.
(See CHANDRA C/C++ source code chandra.cpp
via chandra.zip, together with links to the executable
module chandra.exe, sample output, and instructions.) It includes rotations and chemistry
selection, preparing an overall report file chandra.txt
and a smaller report
presented to the screen of your terminal. If specified, CHANDRA also generates
a detailed center-to-surface structure file stellara.txt
for variables like temperature,
pressure, density, and so forth. This download module includes the source code
file chandra.cpp, which the user may modify and recompile to handle new equations
of state, modified gravitation model, as desired. The complete set includes the book
CHANDRA: Chandrasekhar Sets of White Dwarfs and Supernova Cores
by James A. Green, available for $52.86 from Greenwood Research Books & Software,
or from many other bookstores and dealers.
The book CHANDRA includes the executable and source code software in C/C++ on CD-rom, plus a tutorial
on the theoretical astrophysics treated by the software, letters from Dr. S. Chandrasekhar
himself to the author James A. Green written while the program was being composed, and a free copy
of the old 5th edition of Gravitation and the Electroform Model in an appendix.
Dealers & bookstores | Order Direct
References || Greenwood Research | Jim Green's Home Page
| Free Stellar Structure Downloads
1) Green, James A., Thermonuclear Fusion in Stars,
2nd edition, Greenwood Research, list $50.00.
2) Green, James A., CHANDRA : Chandrasekhar Sets of White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars, and Supernova Cores, Greenwood Research.
3) Green, James A., Astronomical Maps: The Structure of the Celestial Sphere,
4) Green, James A., Supernova Vignettes,
5) Green, James A., Gravitation & the Electroform Model: From General Relativity to Unified Field Theory, 11th edition,
Greenwood Research. Includes squeeze-boom cosmology.
6) Richard Bowers & Terry Deeming, 1984. Astrophysics I: The Stars, Jones & Barlett.
7) Stuart L. Shapiro & Saul A. Teukolsky, Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron Stars, Wiley-Interscience, 1983.
8) W. David Arnett and Richard L. Bowers, 1977,
"A Microscopic Interpretation of Neutron Star Structure",
Supplement to the Astrophysical Journal, V.33, p. 415.
9) Lee Lindblom & Steven L. Detweiler, 1983,
"The Quadropole Oscillations of Neutron Stars",
Supplement to the Astrophysical Journal, V.53, p.73.
10) Clayton, Donald D., Principles of Stellar Evolution and Nucleosynthesis.
11) Schwarzchild, Martin, Structure and Evolution of the Stars, Dover.
12) Other Useful Books in stellar astrophysics.
13) Dr. S. Chandrasekar, who cared to send references and letters to me.
14) S. Chandrasekhar, father of white dwarf theory.
S. Chandrasekhar's work on white dwarfs, together with my calculations for the mass of the Sun's hydrogen-burning core, show that the Sun will explode when the core collapses, emitting a planetary nebula and leaving a white dwarf remnant. See fusion.txt. See also Planetary Nebulae and the Future of the Solar System and White Dwarfs and Novae.